If you'd like to brighten the day of a soldier this holiday, send a card! Or send lots of cards to lift the spirits of lots of soldiers. It's easy with the Red Cross Holiday Mail for Heroes program, but there are some guidelines you need to be aware of.
Every card received will be screened for hazardous materials and then reviewed by Red Cross volunteers working around the country.
Use these guidelines to ensure a quick reviewing process:
- Sign all cards.
- Use generic salutations such as “Dear Service Member.” Cards addressed to specific individuals can not be delivered through this program.
- Only cards are being accepted. Do not send or include letters.
- Do not include email or home addresses on the cards: the program is not meant to foster pen pal relationships.
- Do not include inserts of any kind, including photos: these items will be removed during the reviewing process.
- Please refrain from choosing cards with glitter or using loose glitter as it can aggravate health issues of ill and injured warriors.
- If you are mailing a large quantity of cards, please bundle them and place them in large mailing envelopes or flat rate postal shipping boxes. Each card does not need its own envelope, as envelopes will be removed from all cards before distribution.
All holiday greetings should be addressed and sent to:
Holiday Mail for Heroes
P.O. Box 5456
Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456
The deadline for having cards to the P.O. Box is December 6th.
Holiday cards received after this date cannot be guaranteed delivery.